The directory lists Michigan Midwives Association members providing services to families in and around Michigan. We have every confidence that you, the consumer, will take responsibility for interviewing and choosing your provider carefully. We include a list of suggested questions below to help you. This is important regardless of the site of your birth or the type of provider you prefer. MMA does not assume responsibility for your choice in care. Providers in this directory are self-described and inclusion in this directory does not imply endorsement by the MMA. Each midwife, doula, childbirth educator or other has her own training background and practice protocols. We strongly encourage consumers to discusses these topics when interviewing care givers.
MMA Members: If your dues are not current, your business listing will not be shown on this directory. To update your membership standing, or make changes to your listing, contact Patrice Bobier (email@example.com).
Choosing a Maternity Care Provider
Choosing a Midwife or Doctor is an important decision and should be researched carefully. Here is a list of questions you might start with to begin to evaluate potential providers.
For maternity care in general:
- What is your basic philosophy of care?
- What is your training and background in birth? How many births have you attended? In what settings?
- How many births do you attend annually?
- How many providers are in your practice? Will I get to know them all well? Do they all share the same philosophy and beliefs about birth? Are they all equally experienced?
- How will you help me be healthy during pregnancy? How will you help me prepare for giving birth?
- Who will attend me at my birth? What is the back-up system if you are unavailable?
- How do you handle complications?
- What arrangements are available if complications occur and other providers are involved in my or my baby’s care? What will your role be if that should be necessary?
- What are your routine prenatal visits like? What are my options for testing or ultrasound? (Are they required or available?)
- Can I reach you 24 hours a day? What if I just have a question?
- What are your fees and what are my payment options? What do those fees cover?
- What are your expectations of me?
At our Birth:
- When do I contact you when I go into labor?
- What are your routine procedures for labor? If in a birth center or hospital, what are their routine procedures?
- Under what circumstances would you induce labor?
- How do you monitor labor and my baby?
- Under what kinds of circumstances do you recommend interventions (pitocin, episiotomy, forceps, vacuum extraction, cesarean section) ?
- Who is present when I have my baby?
- What do you do to help me cope with the intensity of labor and any fears I may have?
- What are your routines after the baby is born, for me and for my baby?
- What does your postpartum care include?
- How will you help me with breastfeeding and new baby care?
- What is your philosophy about circumcision? About immunizations?
- Are you available for questions after the birth?
Key to Abbreviations
(CPM) Certified Professional Midwife
(CNM) Certified Nurse Midwife
(DEM) Direct Entry Midwife
Maternity Related Services:
(CCE) Certified Childbirth Educator
(CD) Certified Doula
(CHt) Certified Hypnotherapist
(ICCE ICEA) Certified Childbirth Educator
(DO) Doctor of Osteopathy
(MD) Medical Doctor
(LPN) Licensed Practical Nurse
(RN) Registered Nurse